A $38.67 investment that will change your year
January 1, 2011 Leave a comment
If it’s true that the first hour is the ‘rudder of the day’ than the next few weeks are the ‘rudder of the year’. If you lead an organization like I do, here are 4.5 books that will give you all the insight you need to chart a course for the year…
Here they are in their recommended order of reading:
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. There’s a reason why this book is one of the most popular of all time. Read or reread it!
- Getting Things Done. Another book that has become so popular that people have forgotten why.
- Awesomely Simple. This one is new, but powerful enough to be a must read for me.
- Your Best Year Yet! Enough said.
- The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. What? Yes, read it. Franklin outlines his systematic approach to building new habits here.
Now for the how. Yes, I’m even going to tell you how to read them. Read them via Kindle. “What”, you say? “I’m not going to buy a Kindle just to read these books!” “Well”, I say, “you don’t have to”. Kindle software runs on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and via web browser. It synchronizes wirelessly between devices creating a virtual library of all the books you download allowing you to use them anywhere at any time. So, if I’m reading a book on my Sprint Evo and highlight a section that I want to go back to later, when I get to my computer and synchronize my books, the same selection will be highlighted, along with any notes I’ve made, on my PC. Did I mention that most Kindle books are around $10 as well?
Cute commercial break…
As much as I love all things Google, Kindle content is cheaper than the new Google Books by about 50% in my informal testing and although the Android reader for Google Books is more full featured, imho, Kindle software is a more compelling offering at the moment. btw, if you’d prefer to listen, there’s always Audible — another service from Amazon.com! Again, no special device is required because there’s Audible software available for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and web browser. Instead of listening to talk radio, now you can get smart while you’re driving around!
According to Einstein, doing the same things and expecting different results is the very definition of insanity. These books, combined with new ways of consuming their wisdom, will help you get from where you’re at to where you want to be as a business leader. Really!
All the best to you in 2011!
- Google Books vs. Amazon Kindle (androidcentral.com)
- Google Launches Long-Awaited E-Bookstore (mashable.com)
- Amazon to Unveil New Kindle Web App Tomorrow (mashable.com)